Saturday, July 17, 2010

Saturday Seven - Proudly Pinoy

‘Cuz a list of 11 would be copying and a list of 10 is just too much work…

For this week’s edition of Saturday Seven I wanted to put a pinoy spin to the blog.

Seeing that I’ve lived in the Philippines for most of my life and I’m Filipino it seems like I should do more Pinoy-related posts.

The list for today is more of things I’ve noticed that are either uniquely pinoy or things that are present in other countries but seem to just be so pinoy. I’ll try to avoid the more obvious ones (like jeepneys).

Let’s start…

1) The cheap-o metal door with matching spring (that breaks) and screen (that ends up having huge holes in it).

You know which one I’m talking about. The one that looks like they all came from the same supplier in China.

C’mon. Go down the street there has to be one house or establishment that has this door (even the rich bastards probably have this door in their dirty kitchen or maid’s quarters).

2) The door on gate combo

Well, it seems practical. We do cage ourselves behind cement walls and gates. The door might as well be on the gate to save space.

3) The makeshift tabo.

The tabo is a Filipino staple. The makeshift tabo (from cut-up chemical cleaner containers) is just a great representation of Filipino ingenuity (and blatant disregard for health standards and safety).

Not just for cleaning and etching stone but for asses too!

4) Unknowingly racist mothers/titas + their comments

I don’t know if it is just the generation gap but my mother is a racist and she doesn’t even know it (well most pinoys are but it seems like the moms and titas have it down to a science). The kind of casual use of “Bombay” or “Negro” (pronounced neh and not nee) while trying to use it endearingly is just so mom-ish.

Example: “Your negro friend is so nice.”

“He’s so nice.” I bet she doesn’t know why this is racist…

5) The maid/houseboy that’s also kind of your cousin/distant relative.

Weird but true.

6) Hand-me-downs from your “first world” relatives

I know for a fact I wouldn’t have a pair of Chucks if my cousins from New York didn’t send me a pair of their old ones.

7) Broken-glass rimmed cement walls

I couldn’t help it. I had to go for one of the obvious ones. It’s just so entertaining. I always imagine crimes being foiled by a broken Sprite bottle caught on someone’s left nut.

“Damn you Salazar!”

No comments: