Tuesday, December 11, 2007

DLSU Capoeira Club!

The Capoeira Club at De La Salle University (DLSU) - Manila has been around since last school year (2006-2007). It took a lot of work on me, and my buddy, Besouro's part. The Student Council (Nadia Ong and company) also helped a lot.

Now that I've graduated, I'm glad things are still working out. I'm just hoping we don't have problems in the future.

What's funny is that I was recently interviewed by "The La Sallian" regarding the club. We've had several articles in the past, but up until now, the time I'm out of school, I've never been interviewed about the club. Thanks to Tina for finding the article!

The article has a lot of quotes. My friend Gaille (Carochinha) was like, "You practically wrote it." Actually, the thing I pointed out as one of the most important parts wasn't included.

I told them in the interview that people who want to learn about Capoeira should beware. There are lots of people that are trying to take advantage of the art. People with little or no real experience, sometimes try to pass off as teachers. So when looking for a school, you should try to look at its history and their teacher's lineage. This is a good way to find out if they really know what they are talking about.

Aside from that, the article was a good way to promote the club. I even have a picture where I look like a child. Man, I have a huge head (literally).

You can check the article online here. You can download the PDF (in original page layout) here. The second link has the picture.

For more info about the club, you can contact me here or just join the yahoo group. The club is right now on break. We start again next year.

The schedule is currently set at:

Tuesday and Thursday - 4:10-5:40 (any changes will be announced in the group)

For other training schedules check out: http://www.ebcphilippines.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear about your club, man! It's always fun to read articles about yourself and the fruits of your labor, isn't it?

I started and ran the capoeira club at my college for 4 years (until I graduated) and then after I graduated I still go back to teach classes twice a week. I try not to do too much administrative stuff now that I'm no longer a student, but I love the people in the club and I love capoeira, so I'm glad to go back and lend my experience to them.

Hope all goes well for you and your club in the future!

Anonymous said...

dammit man! i wish you started the dlsu capoeira club earlier, like when i was still in school!

oh well, no use complaining since i already started training.. :D