Monday, December 3, 2007

The Quest for My First Set...

So aside from the many other things I want to do with my life, I've decided to learn how to produce and scratch. Produce babies and scratch my back that is. No, but seriously. I've been in the hip hop scene so long, I think it is about time that I learn some new skills. I've been tinkering with Fruity Loops and other music software but I think I could really do some damage with the turntable and mixer.

The first thing on my wish list was actually a Playstation 3. But being short on funds, I had to set my priorities straight. After several days in deliberation (no pun intended), I figured the turntable and mixer would be a better investment. Come on, mindless video gaming versus learning a skill that may earn me some money in the future, it wasn't a very hard choice. I'm a gamer and all, but until I get my name established as a writer, I doubt my video gaming will get me any money.

I then began my search. Being in the Philippines didn't help the whole situation. Don't get me wrong, I can get some pretty good second hand deals here.But to get something brand new for a good price, that's a whole other story. Plus, the stock for quality items is usually sold pretty quickly.

My trip to New York in January couldn't come at a better time. I saw my trip as an opportunity to reduce shipping costs. Online ordering was my number one option. I could get my sister to order it and then I'd just pay her back when I got there. So the ball was rolling.

Image retrieved from Amazon.com

I started my search on online sites such as Ebay and Amazon. The first few finds were all Numark. I came across the Numark Fusion DJ Turntables. Being a novice, I didn't really know the difference between any of the brands. For me, as long as it wasn't a Bony or a Fioneer, it was a good find. Aside from this, with a Numark Mixer I could start my DJ career with only $260.

"How cheap" I told myself.

Seeing that I may not have been the best source of judgment calls in this particular field, I decided to ask my more experienced friends. It's good I did because sometimes "how cheap" can also mean "how crappy".

After speaking to my friends, I was convinced Numark wasn't the way to go. Though it was a good find and a good deal for its price, it wasn't a good long term investment. They told me my best pick for a turntable would be the industry standard, Technics 1200's. Even if I bought a Technics secondhand, the quality could still be assured because of its sturdy build.

The not-so-great reviews for all the other DJ turntables were the decision makers for me. Being a skeptic, I'm not one to just accept my friends claims without backing it up with something. But when more than 5 or 6 customers come forward with complaints and the satisfied customers refuse to add a comment, there is something wrong. There were several complaints about sound quality and design (i.e. complaints about the arm) for the Numark Fusion DJ turntables. This helped convince me that Numark wasn't the way to go for turntables.

I'm now set on buying a Technics 1200. Here in the Philippines, they are hard to come buy. My friend Elea told me that all the needles are sold out. That can only mean all of the tables are in use. So I'll be waiting till January until stocks are filled again or until I find one in New York.


Image retrieved from Amazon.com

Now, let's talk about the mixer. Amazon has been going on a crazy discount spree. Well, so have the other online shopping places but Amazon is, for me, one of the most dependable. As I mentioned earlier, Numark products were the first I encountered. The best Numark I found, considering price and quality, was the DM950 USB. It was marked down by 50 percent making it only $80!

It comes with the standard technical features. What's beautiful about this little beast is the USB option. For its price, you have the option to hook this up to your PC or Mac without installing any software. This makes it ideal for recording whatever crap I might make. I use the word "crap" because for sure that's what most of my first productions will be.

But it was too good to be true. After searching for reviews, I came across comments on its sound quality. Though overall it is a pretty good find and has a sturdy build, it has several issues with sound (this was a common agreement amongst the reviews). In my point of view, sound quality is essential. So I had to pass on this find until I save enough money to buy a quality USB mixer. What use is a USB mixer if the sound sucks?

Most of my buddies from AMPON told me to look for a Stanton mixer. I searched through some of the lower end Stanton's and I wasn't satisfied with the comments. Most people agreed, that the lower end models were too simple and not good for scratching. The crossfader switch was too sensitive and couldn't meet the needs of a scratcher.


Image retrieved from Amazon.com

I was about to give up when I found it. I found the Stanton m.202. A Stanton that can meet the needs of a beginner like me. It has all the standard features with excellent sound quality. Price isn't too bad either ($112). The review that sold me can be found here at International DJ Magazine. The heads of the fader are replaceable too, so, I can change the triangle head for a more comfortable one. Aside from the plastic-y look, it seems like a really good find.

Final Verdict:

I've already placed my order for the Stanton m.202 and I'm on an active search for a Technics 1200... If you got leads please help me out. I think the choice is sound and will keep me occupied till I can afford an MPC.

No comments: