Saturday, December 15, 2007

"What Teachers Make" by Taylor Mali

This is related to my last post "Give your teacher some credit".

I recently posted a short story I found on an old classmate's blog. It was a short story on a teacher.

I was just informed by my buddy, Marlowe, that the story is actually a spoken word piece taken into a different context.

The original piece is actually quite famous. It is by Taylor Mali. I wanted to give him the credit he deserves for such a wonderful piece. It can be found on his CD, Conviction.

You can also find the real text version on his website. Click here.

I like this version a lot more. It reaches out to me more (especially the language). It doesn't hold back.

It also turns out that Taylor Mali was on the same Slam Team as Sage Francis. He is an actual school teacher.

With all this combined...

The piece becomes even closer to my heart.

Thanks for the info Marlowe!

Check him out performing live. Seeing it with your own eyes and hearing it with your own ears makes the experience a lot better...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey you!

Thanks for the note you left on my blog. How'd you find it?! haha I heard you're never going to stop studying!! :) Well, let's hope things do work out, for me, Tina and you as well. Will I see you in Manila this Christmas? Come visit us in Hong Kong ok? And France perhaps. :)

Tesa