Friday, December 7, 2007

I'm in!!!! (the DLSU ladderized PhD in Philosophy program)

I'm officially on my way to becoming a doctor! In philosophy, that is.

Today, I had my interview with Sir Nap Mabaquiao. Actually, it was more of an introduction to the program than an interview. I was only asked a few questions.


I know. The picture isn't very helpful. I'm holding a brochure for god's sake. But my application forms were sent to the registrar so I had to make do with what I had.

My accepted application was for De La Salle University - Manila (DLSU)'s ladderized PhD in Philosophy program. For those who don't know what a ladderized program in Philosophy is, let me enlighten you.

The ladderized program offered at DLSU (similar to other ladderized programs) is a program that incorporates Masters into the PhD program. Several courses don't have to be repeated and instead of writing a Master's thesis, you opt to only write a dissertation. The program significantly cuts down your graduate studies' time. You can take this program right after you finish your undergraduate degree.

What are its ADVANTAGES?

1. Time taken to obtain PhD is cut down. With DLSU's trimestral system, you can graduate with a PhD in 3 years!

2. You don't have to repeat courses. Who wants to waste time studying something they've already taken? This program is designed so that Master courses are incorporated into your PhD studies.

3. You only have to write a dissertation. If you don't want to write another thesis, this program is be for you. Instead, you have to take several comprehensive exams to brush up on your knowledge.

What are the DISADVANTAGES?

1. Research time is cut down. Research is important for anyone who is in an academic field. This program cuts down time but also cuts down research. A Masters thesis can be a good way to familiarize yourself better for a specialization. Though, you can make up for this by producing several high-quality research papers/articles.

2. (Specifically with this program) You don't get an Master of Arts (MA). In about 1 and a half years, instead of getting an MA, you receive a Master of Philosophical Research (MPR) after a comprehensive exam in three areas. This, of course, is no problem if you don't care about titles.

I'm starting next school year (March). For the philosophy majors out there, you should seriously consider the graduate program at DLSU.

You can download brochures at www.dlsu.edu.ph

2 comments:

Les said...

congratulations! :) so happy for you. i think you will be perfect for grad school (and vice versa). you might also want to teach with us at the same time--it's the best kind of training there is. but it's also nice to focus on your studies to the exclusion of all else.

see you! :)

les

Richard "D-cal" Dacalos said...

Thanks Dr. Les!

Yea i want to apply to teach as soon as I can. I think I'll try and get some research under my belt first so my chances are better hehe