Saturday, December 8, 2007

Optimizing my Blog

If you've visited my blog several times in the past 48 hours you'll notice a few changes.

I have used several new widgets to maximize my blog and increase traffic. Here is what I did, so maybe you can do the same.

What did I do?

1. As I already mentioned, I have added MyBlogLog.

What this widget does is that it records who visits your blog and gives them the option to join your community. If you visit another MyBlogLog member, your headshot shows up on the same little bar you have. This program is nice because it lets you connect with bloggers with the same interests. By visiting another persons blog, you have the opportunity to increase the traffic of yours.

2. I added an RSS feed from Feedburner.

Look at my fancy new button on the upper right hand corner. You can now subscribe to my blog!

I had an RSS feed before. Blogspot gives you the automatic option to do so. The difference here is that, now, I have more control over the feed. I can make it cleaner and more appealing.

Feedburner also allows you to publicize and control other features that optimize your feed. Just look at the fancy new button.

3. I added BlogRush.

BlogRush is a very nice tool. It is like a google ad bar but for blogs.

What it does is retrieve similar blog posts and posts them on the small widget. So when you post, the link shows up on another BlogRush members widget. This, of course, is a great way to boost traffic.

The referral program also allows you to increase traffic more. The more people who find BlogRush through you, the more times your posts will show up on other BlogRush widgets. Very nice.

So if you plan to add it. Please use my links or click on the widget on my sidebar :D

4. I added an RSS feed reader on Facebook.

I've been a Facebook user for a while now. Looking at all my programs, I realized that there had to be some sort of blogging application on the site.

And I was correct. There are several types of applications there. The one I chose was an RSS feed reader.

This application allows you to show your blog updates on your Facebook profile. Check out mine. This a great way for a Facebook user to maximize their profile.

5. My last addition was a ZoomCloud.

ZoomCloud allows you to add a tag cloud to your blog using a simple script. A tag cloud allows users to browse through labels/tags in a easier manner. It shows the keywords and allows a reader to click on a text link that leads them to posts with that tag. This is especially useful for a blog like mine that has so many different topics.

What's nice about ZoomCloud, aside from the fact that it's free, is that it uses an RSS feed to obtain your tags. This makes the script a lot esasier to use than the other ones out on the market.

Though I did have trouble first setting it up (some technical difficulties on the main site), the whole thing is very promising.

Well, that's it. I'm still on the look out for more ways to optimize my blog.

I hope this post helped all the other bloggers out there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, great suggestion about the Facebook RSS feed. I'm gonna go check that out right now!

Rom said...

Hi Richard,
i can see that you are new to the blogging world but you got yourself a wonderful start there--nice and wonderful writing, good posting and choices of widgets. it will also be of great help in monetizing your blog if you put affiliates in it. there are reputable marketing groups that would allow their products to be shown on your blog like amazon and ebay and when your reader click them you'll earn a share. Commision junction.com also hosts a wide variety of products to be advertised in your site.
i don't have any percentage earned in mentioning here their services but i thought it might help you monetize your blog as i can sense you are also sincere in helping other by giving tips and info about blogging. I will share too whatever i came across that might be useful for fellow bloggers out there.

keep blogging man! rock on!
rom
http://blah-blahblogsrah-rahwrites.blogspot.com/

Richard "D-cal" Dacalos said...

Thanks for the comment rom!

I'll try and take your advice about the monetizing. I've tried a little with adsense but the amazon suggestion makes a lot of sense.

More power!