Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Something to play but nothing to play it with...

This is in connection to my latest post "The Quest for My First Set".
As mentioned, I've been on an active search for a Technics 1200 turntable. This whole penny pinching quest I've been on, got me thinking...

Why should I buy something if someone would willingly give it to me for free?

That got me to thinking, wouldn't my parents have some stuff that they willing to pass on. I remember, vaguely, old records in our storage room/office/guest room (I feel bad for the guests who have to sleep in that room). So, I decided to ask.


I am a very lucky son of a gun. They got rid of their old player (I could only be so lucky) but they kept the records. Now, I am the proud owner of around 6 classic Sinatra LP's, 1 Rick James - Fire It Up LP and much much more. I even have a duplicate Sinatra LP that I can trade or sell!

Asking can go a long way. I realized that today.

I realized it even more when I was pretty much given my mother's extra digicam. I wanted to borrow her new one to take a picture for this blog. I ended up asking for her extra one. She willingly gave it to me. It's only 3.2 mega pixels but who am I to complain. It's free.

Moral of the story: Being a cheap bastard can have its benefits. Don't hesitate to ask friends and family for stuff that you would probably sell. What's the harm? Either way you start with nothing and you might end up with something (free or cheap).

Now I'm just waiting for my dad to give me his old flashes and lenses for my SLR hahaha

No comments: